Sunday, March 15, 2009

Word count

I was sick with an Evil Virus this week, so I was amazed to tally up my word count for the week and realize that I still got just over 7,000 words written, across three different projects.

Embarrassingly, the vast majority of that, around 4,500 words, was written for my untitled project, though the actual chunk that I'm keeping is under 3,000 words. I wonder if an inevitable part of writing consists of churning out scenes until something actually seems to fit. Maybe it is, though I can't help wondering if there's some way to shorten that process. Perhaps it's a skill that comes with experience?

On the plus side, I was typing along on Lucidity this week and suddenly realized that I have one scene left to go in Act 2, which means I am halfway through the first draft! Act 2 is a mess at the moment, with randomly placed chapter breaks and a number of original characters who don't actually have names yet, but that's okay... it's progress, and I'm really excited about it.

My favorite line is from my untitled story, so far called "the shower story" on my hard drive.
Hisoka stilled beneath him, his eyes taking on a look of expectancy. His body felt hot through the layers of their clothing and he was all sinew and sharp angles, his lean chest rising in sharp, quick pants.
I so love writing from Tsuzuki's POV...

No comments: